In just last one year, many food photography and styling books that have been published. With food photography hobby on the rise, there are more resources than ever to teach you how to improve food photography. In this post, we look at books that will be released in near future and some that have been released in recent years.
11 Food Photography and Styling Books
Let’s jump to the list of food photography and styling books that have been published in recent years.
1. Food Photography: Pro Secrets for Styling, Lighting & Shooting by Lara Ferroni – Lara Ferroni has been long known as an outstanding food photographer and perhaps the first to create a food photography blog. This book has officially released just a few days ago. Here’s what Amazon says about the book:
Top blogger and pro photographer Lara Ferroni serves up a one-stop guide to food-photography success! Packed with her tried-and-true secrets, this comprehensive guide details everything you need to know about sourcing and styling food, drinks, and props. Ferroni profiles several of the industry’s top professional food photographers, and includes… (continue reading)
2. More Food Styling for Photographers & Stylists: A Guide to Creating Your Own Appetizing Art by Linda Bellingham and Jean Ann Bybee – These authors wrote a previous food styling book with similar title. This seems to be the next version of the same book. Here’s what Amazon says about this book…
… While there are many amazing opportunities for creative professionals to showcase their work in ads, cookbooks, blogs, and food packaging, there is also more competition for these jobs. Whether you are a food stylist who works alongside photographers or a food photographer yourself, you’ll find… (continue reading)
3. Food Photography and Styling by John F. Carafoli – Carafoli wrote one of the first books on food photography and styling. That was the first book, published in 1992, that inspired me to take more food photos. This is the second version of the book. For more details about this book, read this. The previous edition was called Food Photography and Styling: How to Prepare, Light, and Photograph Delectable Food and Drinks.
In MORE DIGITAL FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY award-winning Olympus visionary photographer Lou Manna builds on his acclaimed work in his first book, “Digital Food Photography,” demonstrating the most successful techniques for photographing food… (continue reading)
5. Food Styling and Photography For Dummies by Alison Parks –Whitfield – Yes! There is a “Dummies” book on food photography that is releasing in Apr 2012. It will be interesting to see how this book is written. And Amazon says…
Whether you’re taking shots for a foodie blog, advertisements, packaging, menus, or cookbooks, Food Styling & Photography For Dummies shows you how to take the next step in your passion for food and photography. This attractive, informative, and fun guide to the fundamentals of food styling provides… (continue reading)
6. Food Styling for Photographers: A Guide to Creating Your Own Appetizing Art by Linda Bellingham and Jean Ann Bybee – Professional food stylist and food photographer work together to write a book that has gotten a 4.5 star rating on Amazon.
If you are hungry for unique photo assignments and want to expand your portfolio, this guide provides the well-kept secrets of food styling techniques that can make your photos good enough to eat. Each chapter covers… (continue reading)
7. Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots by Nicole S. Young – Nicole is author of three books including this one on food photography. Here are her other books: Book 1 and Book 2. This food photography book covers everything from photography to styling and lighting to post processing. Readers on Amazon gave this book 4.9 out of 5. Here’s what Amazon has to say about this book..
In Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots, photographer Nicole Young dishes up the basics on getting the right camera equipment–lights, lenses, reflectors, etc.–and takes you through the key photographic principles of aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. She then discusses lighting and… (continue reading)
8. Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling by Helene Dujardin – Helene is an amazing food photographer and wrote this best selling food photography book that has 4.7 stars over 5 on Amazon. This book was released in May 2011.
Discover how the food stylist exercises unique techniques to make the food look attractive in the finished product. You’ll get a taste of the visual know-how that is required to translate the perceptions… (continue reading)
9. Digital Food Photography by Lou Manna – This book was released in 2005 and introduced the world of food photography to the reader. Lou covers many aspects of food photography in this book. Here’s what Amazon has to say…
Packed with enticing and creative full-color photographs, this book focuses on the art of food photography and how the digital photography revolution has changed and enhanced it. Broken down into the areas of photography, styling, science, and business, this visual guide…(continue reading)
10. Food Styling: The Art of Preparing Food for the Camera by Delores Custer - Delores Custer is a well known food stylist and packs a lot of information in this 400-page book. Readers on Amazon have 4.7 out of 5 stars. Amazon also has three articles from this book that teach how to style egg, how to style drinks and how to style cookies. To read these, go to the editorial review and read Styling Techniques from Food Styling. Amazon.com says
Full of ingenious advice on styling in any media and packed with full-color photographs, Food Styling reveals every trick of the trade, from making a beverage appear to … (continue reading)
11. The Food Stylist’s Handbook by Denise Vivaldo – Denise Vivaldo is a celebrity food stylist and has written a lot about food business by sharing her experience in 9 books (here’s a list of all 9 of them). In the book The Food Stylist’s Handbook, Denise teaches about food styling business. She teaches everything from how to start a food styling business, how to go about marketing your business and even how to build a food styling kit. Amazon readers give this book 4.3 stars over 5 and here’s what Amazon says about this book:
Acclaimed food stylist Denise Vivaldo shares the tips and secrets of the trade with cooks who want to become master stylists. It takes a steady hand to arrange the chocolate curls and drizzle the caramel sauce in elaborate designs on top of that sumptuous tiered cake. Whether for food blogs… (continue reading)
Share Your Favorites
Of all of these books, which books do you have? Would you recommend the books you have? Leave a comment below and share with other readers.