Last few days have been very exciting. Lot of new things have been happening. One of them as we talked about previously, is interviews with food photographers. I have started interviewing some famous food photographers. I was fortunate to get some time from a well known food blogger for this interview to talk about food photography and secret of good looking food photos.
Introducing Mowie Kay
Mowie Kay is a well known name in the food blogger community. Mowie runs Mowielicious.com – a dessert and baking blog that has lots of mouth-watering food photographs. In Mowie’s words, “I’m obsessed with all things sweet and I believe desserts should always be served before a meal, and after.”
Mowie along with Meeta K from What’s For Lunch Honey and Béa from La Tartine Gourmande are speaking about food photography and food styling in the upcoming Food Bloggers Connect in London this year. Mowielicious.com also won Good Looking Blog for January 2010.
I have known Mowie and have been viewing his work and for some time now and he has been very gracious to spare some time for this interview.
Congratulations on winning Good Looking Blog for January 2010, tell us your secret on how to make a Food Blog Good Looking?
– Thank you so much – I can’t believe I won it! I can’t really say what makes a blog good looking, I can only share what I do on my blog: I keep things simple, I experiment with light (I really love backlit images), I love and play around with height, colour & depth of field. I love pink and tend to use that a lot. I also use a lot of flowers in my posts and try to incorporate them with the food in one way or another.
How did you get into Food Photography?
– I’ve always been into photography and always adored the gorgeous photos in cookbooks, like Bill Granger or Donna Hay. I bought a camera about a year ago and started taking pictures of my meals and something just clicked into place, it all just felt right. So I kept taking pictures, and as my obsession is dessert (not surprising as I come from a long line of bakers), I thought it would be a great idea to document some of my favourite recipes on a blog, and also experiment by trying and creating new ones too – things I’d never baked before.
What type of training do you have (course, self-study etc.) and how did you get it?
– I actually don’t have any professional training in anything I do on my blog: writing, photography or food styling. I’ve learned everything from scratch, on my own, either online, or from friends & family. I say this to everyone, but it’s true: my blog is driven by instinct. Instinct, focus & vision.
How (and where) does your inspiration come from?
– I get inspired by a lot of things – great cookbooks, lovely blogs, good music. I usually get visions of the end product and I see exactly what I want to create in my mind, and that’s how it all starts – and I literally don’t rest until it’s out of my head and on my screen. Sometimes it will be a song lyric, or something someone says, or something I taste, or a memory of something nice that triggers the image in my mind.
Your favorite food photographers/stylists and food photography websites?
– I adore Con Poulos. His work is just amazing. His simple yet comforting art of styling and photographing food leaves me breathless. He’s just very inspiring.
What would you advice to aspiring food photographers who are trying to learn this art?
– Don’t give up if you don’t like the first few pictures you take. Keep taking pictures. Experiment with lighting, backgrounds and height. Portrait works so much better than landscape when it comes to close ups. Keep turning the food, the plate, add things to it, take things away. Experiment with colour schemes, make sure colours go together. But most importantly- have fun, enjoy what you do, stay true to yourself, rely on your instincts and it will shine through in your photos.
Please Say Thank You
If you have found this helpful, I would appreciate if you can let Mowie know. Say hi on twitter @mowielicious or please leave a comment below. I am sure he would like your feedback on the interview.
Questions for Mowie
Please ask your food photography questions for Mowie by contacting him on Twitter or by posting it below. If there are enough comments and questions, we’ll do a follow-up interview with him.
Will Appreciate if..
… you could please tweet this or share it on facebook. If you are part of forums, sharing this interview will help a lot.
More Food Photo Blogger Interviews
In next few weeks, we will have more interviews from some very amazing photographers. Don’t miss the upcoming interviews. Stay tuned. Get rest of them by subscribing to the RSS feed or by subscribing to email updates.
Photo Credits: Both photographs by Mowie Kay